Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Female Chauvinist Pig - Yep, That's Me

There is a book written by Ariel Levy called Female Chauvinist Pigs I read some time ago that I would definitely suggest to read. Everything she talks about in this book I was able to relate to myself. She talks about modern culture that she calls raunch culture. She criticizes that women have become sex objects and that women themselves don't mind that. Moreover they enjoy it. Levy is concerned that sex is everywhere and that the situation is extremely oppressive to women. She calls women who don't mind being viewed as sex objects female chauvinist pigs. Women who make sex objects of other women and of ourselves. They enjoy going to the strip clubs, they don't mind doing it as well, they laugh at sexist jokes, read Play Boy, enjoy watching TV shows like Girls Gone Wild etc. Having "friends"...with benefit. Well...I disagree with her. I do not see a problem in it. It's our own business what we wanna do or watch. Nobody forces to do that. Obviously she would put me in this category. I do like going to the strip clubs, I do prefer men's magazines to women's magazines...there are more interesting things to read...because I am tired of seeing articles about dieting and shopping, make-up and other nonsense. I don't mind sexist jokes...I laugh if they are funny. I enjoy dressing up and looking good. But that is my own choice. I do not feel disempowered. So yes...if that's the case...I am a female chauvinist pig.

No comments:

Post a Comment